Climate Entrepreneurship for Engineers: how to start and scale ventures with high impact solutions to the climate crisis
Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE): 1 Birdcage Walk, London
24th November 2022 – 6.45pm GMT
About this Event
Join Carbon13, our panel of guests and a room full of engineers in central London to discuss the most urgent challenges in Net Zero, as we make a call to action for engineers to dedicate their careers to working on the toughest problems in decarbonisation.
The event will take place at 1 Birdcage Walk, the home of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, co-hosted with Luca Frondoni, member of the Royal Academy of Engineering and CTO of Phoenix Carbon.
Luca will be joined on the panel by:
- Maria Ubierna, an engineer by training whose passion for accelerating climate action in the hydropower sector has led her to become the Cofounder and Director of Open Hydro
- Osas Omoigiade, PhD in Steel Metallurgy and Founder of Deep.Meta which recently won a £1.9 million grant from Innovate UK for its work on reducing emissions in the steel industry.
On the agenda for the panel and Q&A:
- A dive into the Net Zero landscape and the urgent need for decarbonisation solutions from engineers
- How engineers can use their skillsets to become founders and deliver innovation through a scalable venture
- What investment readiness and strategy look like for a team working on launching complex projects with a high decarbonisation impact
- An introduction to Carbon13’s Venture Builder programmes
Who is this event for?
This event is for engineers of any type who want to explore climatetech solutions to work on, or are considering becoming a founder of a climatetech venture – or who are already working on an idea and looking for the next steps to bring it to market.
Carbon13 is the Venture Builder for the climate emergency. Over the next few years we’re supporting 1000s of entrepreneurs to launch high impact climate tech ventures – in fact we only invest in ventures with the potential to reduce CO2e emissions by 10 million tonnes per year when at scale.
Carbon13 is currently the strongest launchpad for founders to build a decarbonisation venture from scratch—we’ve made pre-seed investments in 32 teams since 2021. About half are building hardtech solutions in areas such as waste, battery storage, methane capture, renewable energy, construction, and composite recycling.
Applications are open now for our next cohorts in Berlin (for EU-resident founders) and Cambridge (for UK and non-EU residents).